I had to laugh : )

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store to cash a check to get cash back so my son could go go-cart racing with his friends. Anyway, I needed to buy something in order to write the check, so I picked out a box of healthy granola bars and got in line. As I was was checking out I could not help but notice this kind of hippiesk man in line behind me and all of his healthy food choices. Greens, soy milk, plain yogurt, edamame (I had to look up the spelling for that one! : ) I started thinking as I walked out the door about how off track I have gotten with my eating habits. This past spring, I went on a pretty strict food plan while reading the book, "Total Health Makeover" by Marilu Henner. People would ask me, "Isn't she the Olymic gymnast?" "No" I would reply, "She was the actress on Taxi." : ) With no sugar, no wheat, no meat, no milk....my friends would ask, "What can you eat?" Actually, I could eat quite a bit. And I started to feel really good. But, just like many other habits I have tried to change, slowly but surely, I started to slip back into my old ways. When I walked out to my car in the parking lot, I thought about how tired I felt from all the sugar I had consumed earlier in the afternoon. I started with some healthy chocolate pudding. Well, it was all natural, with no artifical flavors : ) and then I had some ice-cream. I used the cute little pudding cup for it. I thought, I will have some ice-cream and put it in this cute little cup for portion control. I filled it 4 times. So, as I thought about my food intake in this sugar haze, I realized I need to detox, start again! Get healthy and get my energy back! I thought about all those healthy groceries that man had bought and thought I can do it too. Then, as I went to drive out of the parking lot, I stopped at the crosswalk to let the customers cross and there, low and behold was the healthy man, who inspired me to once again change my life, who's heathy habits forced me to take a good hard look at myself, and I had to laugh... as I watched him lighting up a cigarette!

I thought to myself, how many times had I done this before? You see someone and you assume that they have it all together, all their i's dotted and their t's crossed. As Don Miquel Ruiz writes in "The Four Agreements" Don't Make Assumptions. That is something I need to remember. We all have our habits, our struggles, our weaknesses, (mine being sugar and carbs, when it comes to food) that I suppose we all have trouble changing when we decide we want to. No one is perfect...I couldn't help but smile as I got on to the highway, letting myself off the hook and starting to talk a little bit kinder to myself : )

3 comments:

  1. Jim and I have been reading your entries and they crack us up!!! Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. This is an experience that I am sure that we can all relate to.

    ReplyDelete