Finding solace with the help of Ella and Doodles




Day 46 of Coronavirus quarentine.

Or,

as a new teacher I discovered, 

Anne LaFollette 

refers to it,

Day 46 of 

Artist in Residence

Much better!

Honestly, I have been in a rut for much of this time.  It was not until this past week that I made it a daily practice to illustrate and paint.  Who helped me look forward to this practice?  Ella Fitzgerald.

Ella Sings Gershwin to be exact.  



The lyrics are timeless and her voice brings me comfort during days when I feel stuck or anxious or wondering what the future will bring. I get lost in the music as I enjoy experimenting with my new  watercolors.





I purchased Ella's box set at a sweet antique shop on the main street in Clinton, MA years ago.
Little did I know then, what solice the music would bring during a time that one could not even imagine.




I ordered new watercolors (Lightwish MeiLiang) and watercolor paper online and looked forward to their delivery, but when they arrived I was afraid to begin the process of painting. Not quite sure what to do, I just started.  I challenge myself daily to try something new, however small.  At first I started freehand but found that it was to open for me.  I need to sketch first with pencil lightly and then fill in the blanks.  With this method, I feel much more comfortable.  This and Ella makes for a day to look forward to.  Thank God.  Days of feeling stuck within the walls of mind were bringing me down.
Ella and watercolors are helping me climb out.








Also.  Big Help.  Online classes.

As stated earlier, I found a new teacher, Anne LaFollette.  She is offering a free class on surface design starting May 4th. 

Turning Doodles to Dollars

Additionally, Anne teaches a class in Skillshare which is another great place to find a class in something you love.

So looking forward to this!

Additionally, I started a new class today, through Domestika:  The Art of Sketching:  
Transform Your Doodles into Art by Mattias Adolfsson

I believe I found this website on Facebook and I am so happy I did.  They offer many classes at a very reasonable price.  I love this class so far!  Mattias has an extensive background in illustration and I really like his illustration style.  It is wonderful to connect with others from all around the world.  

I'm finding my Happy Place.


No comments:

Post a Comment